Friday, June 14, 2013

Walk With Me

When I gave up the 9-5 grind in favor of a better quality of life, I promised myself that I would thoroughly enjoy my children, my family and my community. It's important to take the time to slow down, breath and notice the beauty that surrounds us.  I'm fortunate to live in a destination town.  Rockport has allure to vacationers and day-trippers alike.  The quaint town center, beaches and the breathtaking rocky coastline are the obvious draw for tourists but there are parts of Rockport that only the residents see. We see it because we live it. It's a lifestyle that tourists can only wonder about and newcomers must have had a hunch about or they wouldn't have chosen to make this New England fishing village their home.


 My days at home are surprisingly full as I catch up on all the projects that were left unattended during my professional years.  In the spirit of the promise I had made to myself I decided that today was a day that I needed to take a few moments to breath, to walk slowly in my neighborhood and find the peace it had to offer.  I wish you could walk with me and see what I see.

The day was overcast and a bit cool.  The clouds looked full and I wondered if it would rain.  The air was heavy with the scent of wild roses.  I breathed deeply, it was intoxicating.




While summer is definitely upon us, it's not yet high season for tourists so the streets were quiet and only the occasional car passed.  Just steps from my front door is Seaview Farm.  I make a mental note to stop in soon to sample some of their grass fed beef and some locally grown produce. 


  Flowers of every variety are in full bloom, fragrances are thick and the grass is green and lush.  I turn left onto Marmion Way.  Marmion is home to many seaside inns and is one of the most sought after areas in Rockport. 



                                                                                                                                                              The homes along this tree lined street are spectacular and the views are absolutely enviable!  I've often wondered who lives in them?  Are they year round residents or do they just summer here?  I'm sure it's a bit of both.









One of the best parts of living in this neighborhood is that the "gift of the sea" is shared by all of us.  The Old Garden Path runs along the Atlantic and it's always special to spend time here.....




 My walk, while short, was all that I'd hoped it would be.  It was a walk for the senses-- sites, sounds, smells-- all beautiful and all so comforting. It was just what I needed, a little bit of peace.

xo
Michelle


+Michelle Morrissette Cucchiaro
+My Baked Stuffed Life 


No comments:

Post a Comment