Monday, November 24, 2014

Giving Thanks-- Cancer Free Style!!

A while back I had reposted a blog from a friend of mine who was in the midst of the fight of his life--literally.  I marveled at his upbeat attitude but it never surprised me.  That's Drew, it's just who he is.  Many of you have asked about him, wondering how he is doing so I thought it appropriate to repost the best update ever and the timing couldn't be better!  As we move closer to the day when we all formally give thanks, the Sandler household will have a whole lot more to celebrate this year!!

To read Drew Sandler's full story, read his blog here:

http://stacancerblog.tumblr.com/post/103463652850/giving-thanks-for-being-cancer-free

His latest post.......

Giving thanks for being Cancer Free

I thought I had posted this several weeks ago, so apologies for letting things like hospitals and recovery get in the way of spreading the news.
My doctors have pronounced me Cancer-Free! There is still a lot of work to do, but this is the first critical milestone.
I want to thank all the people in my life who have made this journey possible, my wife, who has helped me stay strong and positive the entire time. Our families who’s love and support has sustained us through some very trying times. And finally our friends who have offered so much love and generosity; at times it’s taken our breathe away how many people have reached out to support us, spiritually, physically and emotionally.
Thanks!
So what comes next?
I know a lot of people are wondering, so let me sketch out what happens now.
With cancer, progress looks like this:
* Cancer-Free
* Remission (5 years)
* Cured (10 years)
I’ve obviously crossed one of those thresholds… Now I move on to making sure I stay cancer-free. That will include 6 months of post-op chemo and then lots and lots of monitoring to make sure that nothing comes back. At this point we just pray that I stay cancer free for 5 years and can be declared in remission.

Happy Thanksgiving!!!

xoxo
Michelle

+My Baked Stuffed Life
+Michelle Morrissette Cucchiaro

No comments:

Post a Comment