Monday, February 25, 2013

Thoughts on Asian Imagery



I love Asian imagery.  I wrote Geisha years ago but I think it's time for a re-post.  I hope you enjoy  it as much as I enjoyed writing it. 



Geisha
She is incredibly beautiful to some and invisible to others. She is a mystery to most. You will never really know her. She is masked by makeup, she is masked by the many faces of the many personalities required of her. She is well-read, schooled in interesting topics. She traveles seamlessly in all social circles. It is her essence, it is what is required of her. She is obedient. She is a Geisha.

She is an entertainer. She is kept and admired but rarely experiences true love. She may be widely known and often accompanied but, I imagine, cries too many tears of loneliness. She is a Geisha.

She attends to but is rarely attended to. She cares for but not often cared for. She meets needs but her needs go unmet. She is meticulously maintained and flawlessly groomed. She is a Geisha.

She holds many secrets. She is passionate. She is exotic, erotic and the epitome of feminine grace and beauty. She flutters about, she sings and dances. She is your entertainer. She is what you want her to be. She is a Geisha.




Asian imagery brings me such a peaceful feeling. There is a stillness about it that helps me focus.  It's serene.

  

Both the Japanese as well as Chinese cultures are of particular interest.  Asian literature, even in novel form, provides insight into these cultures and it's the differences between our American ways and their traditional Chinese or Japanese ways that are intriguing to me. 



Lisa See is a noteworthy author.  While I've read most of her books, some of my favorites include Shanghai Girls, Peony in Love and Snowflower and the Secret Fan (the movie didn't even come close to doing this book justice).  They were all lovely stories and all were beautifully written. I'm currently reading Empress Orchid by Anchee Min.  While I'm thoroughly enjoying the read it's too soon to tell whether or not it's worthy of recommendation so I'll have to reserve judgement.





Light a candle, read a book, find some peace.  Until the next time.........


+Michelle Morrissette Cucchiaro
+My Baked Stuffed Life

No comments:

Post a Comment