Thursday, April 4, 2013

The Journey Continues, The Last Supper




March 16, 2013


I was massaged and manicured, pedicured and pampered.  I was perfectly relaxed and devoid of life's stressors.  It was the journey's last supper and I wanted it to be perfect.  I decided to step back in time and revisit an old watering hole, but first it was time to pay a visit to the resident watering hole, Fresh Salt, conveniently located on the first floor of Saybrook Point Inn and Marina




I remembered these two spirit-masters from my last visit.  It was wonderful to see some familiar faces!








They'd  renovated since my last visit and I loved the new seaside themed decor.  While the old decor was lovely, this new style was more comfortable.  With cozy tables for two or larger tables for those fun nights out with a crowd, Fresh Salt is perfect for any occasion.

Fresh Salt offers a full service restaurant and bar.  I was travelling alone so I chose a seat at the bar and sampled a refreshing cocktail and a few bar snacks before heading down the road for dinner.





There was a time in my life, before husband and children, when I lived a single and carefree life in a little town called Guilford. Guilford is situated along the southern coast of Connecticut and is a quick exit off of route 95.  Conveniently it was just a few exits up from Old Saybrook where I was staying.

Guilford is a very affluent community filled to the brim with old Connecticut money.  Honestly I don't know how I survived the year there.  While I pride myself in being comfortable amongst all walks of life, this particular type of lifestyle is a bit pretentious for my tastes.  It's not the most welcoming of communities but aesthetically speaking, it's absolutely gorgeous!!!  Guilford is all about the historic town green, old colonial New England style homes situated on vast acreage of crisp green lawn and quaint beaches along Long Island Sound. 






My life back then was comprised of long days in Hartford's corporate world, double sessions at the gym and, well, the occasional (well, more than occasional) night out for cocktails and dinner at the local haunt, The Stone House.  While Guilford was pretentious, The Stone House seemed to attract a more eclectic crowd.  It was comfortable, had great food and was reasonably priced.




After a quick snack and cocktail at Fresh Salt, I headed up the road to The Stone House for dinner.  The town hadn't changed much in the (gulp) 17 years since I'd lived there.  I found my way to the restaurant and was pleased to find that it hadn't changed much (from the outside anyway) either.  The decor inside was different, the layout had changed some but it was still welcoming.  I sat at the crowded bar and chatted with the bartender for a bit before deciding to eat there, at the bar, instead of in the main dining room.  Wise choice because look what I got to sink my teeth into..........



The all-knowing barkeep steered me in the direction of the swordfish club sandwich.  It was absolutely delicious and came packed with a punch from the wasabi mayonnaise.  The hand cut fries were crisp and the perfect accompaniment!! 

 I could have lingered there all night just chatting up the locals but after the relaxing day I'd had and the pleasingly full belly I'd just acquired, a night of chick flicks and a crackling fire were far more alluring......





Good night my friends.  Stay tuned as my journey comes to an end with good food and good friends.......

No comments:

Post a Comment