Saturday, March 16, 2013

The Journey 2013

Day 1
Friday, March 15, 2013

Like most people, I had a life before I had a family.  I did what I wanted, when I wanted to do it.  I slept in.  I ate out or ate in, I went to clubs, or not.  I slept in.  I travelled spontaneously or according to a master plan.  I slept in.  I had adventures.  Did I mention that I slept in?  I had responsibilities and family obligations but they weren't nearly as financially demanding or all-consuming as they are now.  Life was different--not nearly as rewarding in the grand scheme but it was definitely different. 

I'm a grown-up now.  I have a husband and three great kids.  I've got a 10lb dog who thinks he's human and a house that is impossible to keep clean due to the aforementioned three great kids.  Last but certainly not least is the all-important demanding job to go along with that american dream.

Somewhere along the way I forgot how to catch my breath so I hatched a plan whereby mommy takes a little breather, BY HERSELF, at least once a year.  By "little breather" I mean a journey of self care.  That journey has taken a variety of forms throughout the years and it's taken me to various destinations but the general theme remains the same.  I take care of myself, I do what I want to do and it's all about me.  It sounds simple enough but it's not as easy as you think.  You kind of have to get reaquainted with yourself again.  It can be hard to remember what it is exactly that YOU like to do.  You have to remind yourself that you only have to eat breakfast/lunch/dinner if YOU want to--and you can have dessert first because you don't have to worry about setting a good example--no one is watching your every move.  Break out the Fruit Loops folks, it's time to party!!

First stop-- IKEA with Dad.....






I don't get to see my Dad often enough so I incorporated him into my plan.  It was perfect, I got to go to IKEA, something I never get to do, and my Dad got christened at the same time!!  This was his first time!!  Not only was it his first time at IKEA but it was also his first time witnessing the oddities of my photography fetish.  He was perplexed.... giggle.....


"Whisky Business"


I bet you will never figure out what this next one is.  You'll have to email me to find out..........





No trip to IKEA is complete without some deep appreciation for space saving kitchen design.....





Uuuuuhhhhh, you had to be there to appreciate this..........



It was a great way to start my journey and a great time spent with one of my favorite people--my Dad.  Stay tuned for more tales from the road as my journey continues............



+Michelle Morrissette Cucchiaro
+My Baked Stuffed Life

No comments:

Post a Comment